Hand Crafted Fan
Collectible, Austria, 1897-1899
This legendary, traditional, hand-crafted dance fan dates back to the 19th century, where it was commonly used to invite women to dances on a ball. 27 noteworthy musicians signed the fan, thereby immortalizing themselves on this truly one of a kind collectible. 16 of the signatures have been officially recognized.
1. Johann Strauss, known as the "Waltz King"
2. Marcella Sembrich, Polish singer and pianist
3. Bronislaw Huberman, Polish violinist
4. Ludwig Fulda, German playwriter & translator
5. Mark Twain, American writer
6. Joseph Joachim, Austro-Hungarian violinist & composer
7. Robert von Zimmermann, aesthetician & philosophical writer
8. Emanuel Wirth, German violinist
9. Rudolf von Alt, Austrian painter and watercolorist
10. Pablo de Serasate, Spanish violinist & composer
11. Hans Richter, Austro-Hungarian conductor
12. Alfred Grünfeld, Austrian pianist and composer
13. Heinrich Grünfeld, Austro-German cellist
14. Tina Blau, Austrian landscape painter
15. Ruggero Leoncavallo, world famous Italian composer
16. Eduard Hanslick, influential music critic
The remaining signatures have not yet been decyphered.